Monday 26 January 2009

Why Am I Deaf?

I was at a restaurant late one night with a friend. I was talking to him about how I've taught one woman a very important lesson in her life. I thought I could repeat a story on here.


When I was studying Sociology at a college, a woman was sitting next to me and we were discussing about religion and the society. She has asked me if I do believe in God, and I've confirmed that I do believe in God and knows that He does exists without a doubt. She then asked me how I've felt about my deafness, in a way, she was trying to say "How did you feel about God making you Deaf?". She could be assuming that I've had some hard feelings towards God or feel annoyed about the 'disability'. Imagine her surprise when I've said that I am very grateful for the blessing. Of course she was puzzled. So I went on as follows...

"If everyone on Earth wears the same clothes, if everyone are 'perfectly fine' and everyone speaks in same language, cultures and so on. Everything is perfect and fine, then God can't judge us because we all are equal and perfect. However, I am a God's lesson and a tool to judge you. God will and does measure your attitude towards me. You could either treat me kindly or with contempt because of my deafness, God will judge you for that. God will reward or punish you for any outcomes you've made. BUT, also, God is using YOU for His judgements toward me too. God will judge me on how I've treated your attitude, if I am ungrateful for your kindness, God will judge me, if I forgive you for your contempt, God will judge me. Whatever you do, and whatever I do, God will judge both of us. I am God's lesson and a tool and so are you. Everyone are somebody else's lessons. You are a lesson to everyone that surrounds you and God will judge their learnings and God will judge you for your own learnings from the others. Everyone are a child of God and everyone has a purpose. This is why I am Deaf and it's such a great blessing. You are an unique child of God and so am I."

That woman's life has changed forever from the brief lesson I gave. Whoever has read this blog, please remember you're God's blessings to everyone around you, and do bear in mind that everyone surrounds you are your lessons.